The 100 Day Project - Day 1 My Grandmother Helen

Grandma Helen


  My grandmother was one of the greatest influences in my life. I always wanted to be like my grandmother. She was a gentle and kind person.  She never judged me. She never chided me or scolded me. She always had this quiet gentle spirit. I remember growing up I always wanted to be so much like my grandmother.  I wanted to be quiet, gentle and loving the way she was with me. It always made me feel loved and cared for. Every summer when I was a young teen I stayed with her and my grandfather. She had a strong faith in God and taught Sunday school each Sunday.  On Sundays she would always take me to Sunday school and church with her.

   Saturday nights my grandmother would come out in her fancy pajamas and sit in her chair to do her hair while reading a book or her bible study. She would prop up a book or her bible lesson on her knees.  Then while reading her book, she would curl her hair in pin curls (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_wave).  She would wind her hair around her fingers and use Bobby Pins to pin them to her head. She would have quite a few of those bobby pins stuck in her mouth, while she was winding the hair around her finger.  It use to fascinate me watching her doing this balancing act with her book on her knees while doing her hair.  The ultimate multitasker she was. I have no idea how she could read a book while curling her hair like this. Between juggling the book on her lap, twisting her hair in pin curls, then grabbing Bobby pins out of her mouth and then pushing the Bobby pins into her hair to fix the curls to her head.  It was truly fascinating!

  This image is my interpretation of my memories of my grandmother doing her hair while reading a book. I am not a realist drawer or painter and I like to add character to my subjects.  So this is my impression of how my grandmother looked while doing her hair.

  

#the100dayproject2020 #100dayproject #the100daysproject

If you would like to know more about The 100 Day Project, you can find more information at www.the100dayproject.org/faq.html


Comments