100 Days of my Mother's House, My First week.



   This year I am doing the #The100dayProject from 22nd of Feburary to 2 June. It is my intention to sketch, paint, or collage about the things in my mother's house. My mother, Patty was a creative person.  Her house was filled with so many eclectic items she created or collected. She was always creating something or collecting items that brought her joy.  My mother sewed, knitted, quilted and did ceramics.  There were so many other creative things she did over the years.   I want to tell her story through the many items around her house from a creative point of view.  There photos of family, wooden nutcrackers, teapots, collected craft items and items she found in antique shops.  It is interesting to think about the stories behind some of the items she collected.  I want to capture these items in her house as a creative project by telling some of the stories.


Day 1  - Prep- Day

  Day 1 I spent creating booklets and travel diariesDuring March in I will be travelling and want to keep my art items to a minimum and still be able to continue with my project. I have a lot of travel diaries that I take along on my previous travels. I like to use them to collage promotion flyers of places we have been or just draw, paint and paste into them.  I used these pages as a travel journal.  It is a lot of fun going back through my travel journals and seeing all the places I have travelled and get ideas for future art projects.

  I love creating my own art journals and notebooks.  I use scrap papers for the art journals.  I am not picky about the background as I always  collage my backgrounds.  I use old calendar diary pages to create note books so I can write notes in them.  I put them in my midori or faux dori books.


 Day 2 - Sketch of my Mother

 For Day 2 of the 100 Day project, I shared my stylised drawing of my mother.  I used two photos of what I thought was my mother as a reference.  When I shared my progress in Instagram and Facebook, my brother said that one of the photo's was our Aunt Bea.  Aunt Bea was my grandmother's sister.  My brother said that he always stared at the photo of Aunt Bea as she looked so much like our mother at the same age. 
  I study photos of people that I want to draw for a long time.  I could see the similar mouth, hairline and eyes in both the photos but didn't realise they were different people.  The one of my mother is when she was older.  The one of my aunt Bea is much younger.  I thought the photo of my aunt Bea was a younger version of my mother that I remember a photo of her when she graduated from high school.
My mother in 1960-1970

My Aunt Bea as a very young woman


  I want to revisit the photos of my mother and create more sketches and mixed media artworks. Not sure how I will do this yet but have a few ideas.

 Day 3 - Teapots

  My mother had a collection of novelty teapots. She drank a lot of herbal teas but she had a very ordinary tea pot for brewing her teas. I have a tea pot that is my favorite that I like to brew herbal tea in and drink tea from my grandmother's depression ware tea set.  It is my way of treating myself to drink tea from my grandmother's tea set.  A way of remembering the good times of visiting my mother's mother.  

 Always wondered why my mother didn't have one special pretty one to sit and have tea in.  Maybe my mother didn't want to break her special teapots and tea set.  Maybe that is why she didn't brew tea from her tea pots.  Some of them definitely are novelty teapots that would not brew tea....

  This is just one of my mother's teapots.  I am starting with a drawing of them all first.  Then I will later add them into one mixed media artwork.

Day 4 - taking a break

  I took a break from creating an artwork to write the weeks progress and plan out the second weeks tasks.  It is saturday - day 4 and day 5 is Sunday.  These have always been days I do family things and potter in my garden.  This weekend I am looking through more photos I took and working out a plan for next week.  I am also trying to get in some lessons from one of my favorite artist online, Karen Campbell.  She is holding a 4 day, online art party.  It is going to be fun.  If you want to join visit the link here.


Happy Creating;

Tracy at Warratahstree


Comments