Day 70/100 - What I have learned from The100DayProject



Though I have not shared every item I have worked on in this project, I have worked most days with very few missed days of work.  At the beginning of this project my main goal was to just learn more about drawing and painting portraits.  I am a mixed media artist so I also wanted to refine my process of doing my mixed media portrait.
  I have learnt so much over the last 70 days.  I thought I would take the time to share some of the things I have learnt.
 
New Techniques
   As I stated, I am a mixed media artist. The fun part of working as a mixed media artist is to use different mediums to achieve an outcome in my visual artworks.  Some of my artworks are very textured and tactile.   So I set one of my goals in this year's 100 Day Project to work with mediums I have limited skills in using them or not used them before. This comes with it's own set of challenges.  Using mediums that are unfamiliar or I have limited experience with can have varied outcomes.  Sometimes the outcome and final piece are not successful.  I wanted to give myself space to try new techniques and mediums in the 100 Day Project.  The outcomes have been varied but the lessons I have learnt have been amazing.

  On Day 65/100, Day 67/100 and Day 68/100 I worked with Faber-Castell Gelatos.    The image above as a pencil drawing with Faber-Castel Gelato's over the top.  I have used  the Gelato colours in backgrounds before but never as pastel colouring on my artworks.   At first it was such a hard struggle to get the look I wanted.   As I persisted with the Gelatos I finally achieved the look I wanted.  I still have to do more work with the hair but am really happy with the results.

The Surprises
  I never envisioned that this project would be a journey telling the stories about my life.  There are so many people that I could have drawn portraits of in this project, but I chose just a few that have been a positive influence on my life.  Through telling these stories here in my blog and in my Instagram
it has reminded me that there are so many things in my life to be thankful for.  The memories of the people I drew would come flooding back while I was drawing and painting them.  I was really surprised by the emotions and happy memories that came while creating my artworks.  I know may artists who paint their emotions and memories through images in their artworks but never thought that drawing and painting a portrait would also bring up emotions and memories.



What's Next

  One of the fun parts of working as a mixed media artist is to use different mediums to achieve an outcome in my visual artworks.    I want to try a few more techniques and work on my processes when creating my mixed media artworks.

   I have not done all the portraits I wanted to when I set out my goals and project plans in April.  However, I am really proud of being consistent with working each day on my project.  I hope to get a few more portraits finished and to post them here with their stories here in my blog.

    There are 30 more days in this project. So my plan is to try more techniques, work on my processes when creating mixed media artworks and to do the last few portraits I had in my project plan in April.

  Till Next Time. Happy Creating.



Comments